.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

LBS & tourism through the eyes of a postgrad marketing student in New Zealand.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Geocaching

http://www.geocaching.com

This is a fantastic example of a well-established form of location-based gaming/community/interaction, with caches all over the world and a huge following. It was this NZ Herald article which pointed me to the site, so it looks like it's definitely catching on here, too. Could this turn into a fun way of conducting tourism for interactive travellers? I'm sure that the foreign geocachers who visit NZ would naturally carry their GPS devices with them to look for local geocaches. Also, what type of business model would be needed to turn this into a revenue-generating, economy-boosting type of thing? Of course, the geocachers themselves will generate tourism dollars through core services like accomodation and travel, but what else is there?

I really should have done a conjoint degree with Geography or something! I wonder if I could somehow get some NZ geocachers as interviewees... If you're a geocacher and you're interested, let me know!
Technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home