.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

LBS & tourism through the eyes of a postgrad marketing student in New Zealand.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Another one-line definition for LBS

Eduardo from Brazil sent me this email with some great insights, I thought I'd share it in its entirety here - hope you don't mind, Eduardo! =)
"Hi Clara,

My name is Eduardo and I live in São Paulo, Brazil.

I have been working in LBS for the last 4 years and for the most part it seemed like my sister likes to say “a useless passion”

Anyways, I came across your blogging site and, as you, I used to struggle to come up with a short concise definition of LBS.

But here is my preferred one : “Location is an invisible enhancer of existing services” therefore “location based services are the existing services you are familiar with but enhanced”.

Just think about the fact that 80% of the knowledge about things has a spatial component!!

Good luck with your thesis about LBS tourism. I really like the subject and you are right on the money about it since LBS makes primarily sense for roamers, people who are out of their own towns...like tourists!!

The exception would be if you live in a city like the one I live in (São Paulo). It is so big that I definitely could make use of LBS provided they were implemented in a cost effective way and with emphasis on the UI (User Interfase). 3 clicks max to get what you want. And perhaps even LBS push services would be even more compelling.

Cheers
Eduardo"
Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home